José Miguel Pasini: Sax and jazz page
Some soprano sax players I like (most play other saxes, too):
||Reflections, Soprano Sax, Moon, Solo. Steve Lacy died on Friday, June 4, 2004.
|Jane Ira Bloom
||The Nearness, Chasing Paint
||Scenes in the City, Random Abstract, Bloomington, Contemporary Jazz, Creation
||Double Edge, The Elements: Water, The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner, Back on the Corner
||1+1, The Soothsayer, Speak No Evil. Also check out several recordings with Miles Davis and with Weather Report.
||As We Were Saying, Jazz Family
- Hartford Jazz Society. Has a fairly complete calendar.
- Black-Eyed Sally's. They host the Hartford Jazz Society's jam session on Mondays. Starts at 8pm with a house band. At 9:30-10:00pm they open the jam session for students. Nice cajun food!
- Firebox. This is a great restaurant, with a menu that focuses on local produce. Almost every Wednesday they have a great latin jazz band.
- Arch Street Tavern. Has the Hartford Jazz Orchestra almost every Monday evening. Call ahead to check.
- Szechuan Tokyo has jazz Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
- Tonic. Avant-garde and experimental music. They're fighting to find other venues for this kind of music.
- Fez. It used to host the Mingus Big Band, which now plays at the Iridium.
- Club de Jazz de Santiago. (56-2) 274-1937. Macul 85. The owners are musicians, giving the place a special feeling. It is open from Thursday to Saturday, although sometimes they open on different days for special events. Saturday show is usually mainstream jazz and Dixieland. More progresive on Fridays. Thursdays are more pop-blues oriented. Has a bar with a small kitchen: chips, pizza, that kind of stuff. Great mulled wine in winter!
- El Perseguidor. (56-2) 777-6763. Antonia Lopez de Bello 0126. Very good food, too.
- Thelonious. (56-2) 735-7962. Bombero Núñez 336. All kinds of jazz in daily shows all week long at 10pm.
The website is not working at this moment.
- El Mesón Nerudiano. (56-2) 737-1542. Domínica 35. Mainly an excellent restaurant, but it has a very nice space in the basement, where they have jazz and poetry Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Projazz. A music school that sometimes hosts concerts.
- Cornell University has jazz events every once in a while, jam sessions at JAM (Just About Music), and a jazz festival once a year.
- Ithaca College, originally founded as a conservatory, has a strong performing arts program, and naturally has many jazz-related events.
- le Sunset/le Sunside, Paris. Actually two clubs, one on top of the other. I heard some good hard-bop there.